Friday, July 27, 2012
Window tips from neighbors
Top left: I love this shady house. Off white and grey. Her brick is redder than ours
Top middle: What about sandy brown and grey? This house is rocking it! Their brick is more of a solid shade than ours. More brown than orange
Top right: Same brick, black roof. Loving the sandy brown and black shutters. Different roof though, and soffits match the window colour.
Lower left: painting the detail and the soffits out a sandy colour
Lower right: Same brick, off-white trim and windows.
Advice from the neighbors:
- Be careful with white, some manufacturer's white has blue undertones
- Benjamin Moore can give you a colour recommendation....get them to come out to your home (approximately $100), or even take a photo into one of their stores (free?).
- Everyone is going vinyl...
Advice from Benjamin Moore colour consultant (over the phone):
- Exterior colours will always look lighter because of the sun. You need go to darker than you think.
- Always go for more contrast than you think, because colours that are close really just look the same outside.
I will be taking photos of our house into a Benjamin Moore store next week and see what they think!
ps...our brick is the exact same shade as the bottom right - a real rusty orange with dark browns mixed in