We went to Centre Island for a picnic for my son's 5th birthday.
We need to talk about the food! Everything was sooo delicious! Great recipes. Here are the links:
- Olive tapanade on baguette - this was my favorite.
- Roast chicken wings - just olive oil, salt and pepper. I made these the morning of and brought them in warm. I cook them at 400 for 50 mins or so...
- Green bean and tomato salad with tarragon dressing - just good! Eat your veggies! (Mixed the veggies with dressing at the park)
- Quinoa salad with sugar snap peas and pumpkin seeds - yum (added the seeds at the park)
- Chickpea salad with basil
- Pasta Salad - this was a jamie oliver recipe, technically, but I put my own spin on the dressing (mixed the veggies and the dressing at the park)
- Nacho dip - it's a family thing. We have this at every get together. Secrets.
- Other: mini cupcakes, bread sticks, hummus and cut veggies, watermelon and grapes, bagels, granola bars, juice boxes and bottled water.
After lunch the kids went on rides at the amusement park for hours. We took the ferry home around 5pm.
Park vs backyard: BACKYARD WINS EVERY TIME...because sipping on wine, white sangria, or a cold beer with lunch would have made everything better! Although I do appreciate the fact that the picnic prep happens the day before and morning of, so you can just relax at the party. When you host in your home you are constantly doing.
ps. We also made really simple loot bags. A organization tote/giant pencil case, smarties, glow in the dark things and a pen.
pps. When the reno is done (part 1 of reno) we are going to have a backyard party, like a housewarming. I want to invite all of you and all your people and cook up a storm!
ppps. I forgot the big camera, and didn't take many photos, so I borrowed two from a friend. Thanks JJ!